Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Resolutions? I think not!

There is a difference between a resolution and a goal.  Everyone makes resolutions, and they don't mean anything.  Why?  Here's the definition of resolution:

  1. a firm decision to do or not to do something.
    intent, plan, aim, and decision

    • .
          the action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter.
          "the peaceful resolution of all disputes"

The first word is "intention," and that is not a set goal.  It's simply the intent to do something.  Intent, aim, plan, and a decision don't include ACTION.  You can make all the plans and decisions you want, but they aren't full of movement.  They will sit there like a lead balloon.

Here's the definition for a goal:

"A result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim; end."

Set goals.  They require more than a plan.  You have to carry them out, or there is no use setting them in the first place.  There is a beginning and an end.  

My goal for this year is to lose 100 pounds.  It's just less than 10 pounds per month, and I know I can do it - if I exercise a lot.  My goal is to exercise 3-5 days per week.  If I maintain the exercise, the pounds will drop.  I don't "plan" to put into action; I am going to do it.  

You set goals every single day.  You always have a "To Do" list.  Put yourself on it first.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring! I read an interesting article about the rule of threes with starting an exercise routine.
    1) Don't skip three days! You can let your body rest for one or two but three means your body has healed from the work you have done on your most recent exercise and your morale is low. it is harder to jump back in after three days of slacking
    2) work out three days a week minimum. keeps morale high and is an attainable goal. working out three days makes you feel good with enough room for rest and you may even end up working out an extra day after liking the rush.
    3) don't work out more than three days in a row. Over doing it may cause injury or tiredness. working out three days in a row is fine but that fourth day might be rough on a new to exercising body.

    Of course I am not expert and this was just an article on line so I am sure some might not agree but i like it. Three rules about the the rules of threes! Easy to remember and seems realistic!

    ReplyDelete