Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H is for Hunger

I don't think I'm eating enough.  In fact, I know I'm not.  I can't seem to make myself eat more than I want, because I'm terrified of gaining more.  Hunger is a difficult thing to distinguish.  On Dr. Oz, he said that hunger did not come from the grumblings in your stomach, but from pain in you chest and upper belly.  The hunger pains that you feel and hear are from your body craving sugar, in any form, and that we are conditioned this way because of poor diet.

I don't know all about that, but I'm going to talk to my doctor about a nutritionist.  I am bigger than the average dieter, so I know I need more calories, but I don't know how many.  I know I feel better in general, but my energy is down.  Of course, I didn't exercise yesterday.  I should have.  Anyway, hunger and watching your weight seem to go hand-in-hand, but they shouldn't.  I've traded junk for watery veggies that go right through you.  No wonder I'm hungry!

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, hunger is a tuffy! I don't like it one bit. I've started something called Isagenix, a cleansing diet, and I was dying at first from misery and hunger. You do two shakes in place of two meals and eat a healthy meal. Then there are two fasting days twice a month.

    I was told wrong how to do the fasting days and didn't lose like everyone else. After going hungry for two days, I decided not to do the fasting anymore. They do have that option. And I've switched to eating my meal at dinner instead of lunch, because I'm a night eater, and from lunch time, that's way too long to not eat food. I'm more happy this way and much less hungry. I get home late, so I'm so happy to eat when I get home! Then I'm still too full to eat anymore like I normally could do. (I stay up late.)

    I'll see if I'll lose weight! Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunger is ridiculous. I totally understand your qualms about eating more. I calculated my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) using this calculator: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced and aim for 500 calorie deficit (eating 500 less than the TDEE) to make sure that I eat enough. Some days it's too easy to eat a bag of chips and hit my calories and some days I do pretty well.

    But every day is a struggle :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunger is one of those things that, I understand, you have to just wait out. Or so they tell me. The thing is, you're feeling deprived and down and you are hungry! This is a very thoughtful post - well done!
    Diana at About myself, by myself…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever plugged your numbers into a BMR calculator...they can tell you what your body burns if you were to do nothing but lay in bed all day...then subtract 250 calories from your BMR and you get what you should be eating for the day...burn another 250 calories a day with exercise and you could lose 1-2 lbs a week... Sometimes feeling hunger is really our body telling us we are dehydrated. I just wrote a post on fitness calculators the other day...they are guesstimates and some are more accurate than others. I have challenged myself to get used to feeling a little hungry at bedtime..not ravenous but a bit hungry and I find it's not so bad and I've been losing every week steadily and I eat 1300-1400 calories a day...Sorry this was so long...I've just been at it a long time and have studied it too so I wanted to pass it along...stop by sometime and read some of my posts or just email me if you like at madmammahas4kids@gmail.com

    Shannon at I Survived and Now I Run

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drinking lots of water, chewing gum help fill what you think are hunger pains. Keeping busy helps too. If I'm busy I don't even realize I've missed a meal. Good Luck

    A-Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you trying for a certain number of calories. My daughter (told you in a previous comment) that she wasn't eating enough either. When she didn't eat, she didn't lose and she was RAVENOUS. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... read your post again more carefully. Yes, you should know how many calories you need. Daughter consulted a nutritionist too. And when she was hungry, she'd munch a few nuts... almonds, walnuts.

      Delete