Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Apple: Simple



Apples are a staple in my house now.  I love eating green Granny Smith apples with peanut butter.  Any kind of apple is pretty versatile, but the Granny Smith is my favorite.  It's tart, so it's perfect for mixing with something sweet.  They hold up better, too.  However, when I was a kid, my apples were always Red Delicious.

Mom always greeted us with a big apple when we got home, at least the way I want to remember it.  She would cut it for me and I would put some salt on it (not anymore), and I would munch that apple while watching the Brady Bunch.  Happy memories; happy food.  At Thanksgiving, I made a Snickers trifle with Granny Smith apples, and it was great.  Of course, I can't eat them that way every day!

Here's the nutrition facts for one apple!


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 
1 apple (large, 3-1/4" diameter (223.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
116
Calories from Fat 
0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
0.0g
0%
Saturated Fat 
0.0g
0%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
0mg
0%
Sodium 
2mg
0%
Total Carbohydrates 
30.8g
10%
Dietary Fiber 
5.4g
21%
Sugars 
23.2g
Protein 
0.0g
Vitamin A 2%Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 1%Iron 1%
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

8 comments:

  1. I've done A for Apple too, but a different kind :) Good luck for the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. Good luck to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolute same transition - favorites were Red Delicious and have come to appreciate the tartness of a nice crisp green Granny Smith as an adult. I think that Fuji might get my vote for current fave, but I always have a few Grannys in the house for those not so sweet apple moments.

    One of my daughters loves green apples, and I'm fascinated that she does because I was such a sucker for the sweet ones.

    Welcome to A to Z! I hope you love it! Will be back to peruse your fave snacks list - looks delish!

    ~Alana @ writercize.blogspot.com
    Cheering you on from A through Z!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple and Peanut Butter? I am afraid I am not going to be popular when I say that I cannot understand the obsession with Peanut butter. Maybe it is the same with Vegemite? It seems that it is only Australians that enjoy it :)

    Good luck with the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love that you put the nutritional info for the apple! I had no idea of that information before. Granny smiths are my favorite but apples are hard for me to eat on their own, even though they are SO good for you. Check out my AtoZ Challenge blog katkatravels.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm. Apples. Love them. I had freshly made carrot, apple, ginger juice this morning. :) I'm new to your blog from the A to Z Challenge - nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Everyone! I'll be looking at your blogs today. Also, Sharon, yup! Try some peanut butter or vegamite on your green apple. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love apples! We go out to the local apple orchards every fall. Great family time.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side and The Witch
    Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword
    The Freedom of Nonbelief

    ReplyDelete