Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Insomnia and Weight Gain

Insomnia is not fun.  Far from it, the tossing and turning, and eventual lack of sleep can be maddening.  The next day, you can resemble the best zombie in the world.  I know I do.  I probably will be tomorrow.  I was active today, as well, so I should be sleeping.  Oh yeah, and the sleeping medicine I take.  Of course, I'm on the computer, and that will only keep me awake.  That's the bad thing for a self-professed night owl and writer: the night is quiet and the world is asleep, so it's the best time to write.  You can get more done in a few night hours than all day!  Exactly how much rolling around am I supposed to suffer without sleep before I have to do something?

The problem is, most people eat out of boredom in the middle of the night.  There's nothing better than a bowl of cereal or peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the wee morning hours.  I haven't eaten, but I want to.  That's why I started writing!  "Move a muscle, change a thought."  Or, in this case, not eat.  I'm not hungry, it will mess with my metabolism if I eat this late - or early, and there's nothing I want.  Seems easy not to eat if I don't really want to, but I do sometimes, and many people do every night.

Here's some solutions:

1.   Read.  This usually will put people to sleep.  And a real book or magazine, too-
      Avoiding the back lighting of your Kindle or computer.
2.   Watch T.V. on low with a really boring, quiet show on.  It will lull you to sleep.
3.   Play solitaire.  With cards.
4.   Write.
5.   Work.  There's no reason not to if you are buggy.
6.   Listen to soft music.
7.   Rock yourself in a rocker or swing.  It's calming.
8.   Meditate.
9.   Take a hot bath. (Yes, even in the middle of the night.)
10.  See your doctor if none of this or other things you've tried have worked.

I'm not going to eat, put on TCM, and try to meditate to the sound of voices that remind me of my grandparents.  That usually works.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment