Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Doctor and Ice Cream

When I was little, my mother took me to get ice cream after every doctor's appointment if I promised to be good.  You know?  Right?  I see the glaring irony of coming from the doctor and then eating something fattening, and my mother's participation in adding to my weight problem - using food as a reward - but I ate it anyway.  Heck, I was just a kid getting over a shot.

You know, we all reward ourselves with food at different times: to celebrate, to grieve, to drown our sorrows, and even because we lost weight!  (And even if we didn't.)  The thing is that food is a drug, and the more I watch Dr. Oz, the more I realize how fresh is the way to go.

But, I went to the doctor today.

I had uncomfortable procedures done and I wanted a frappucino.  Like bad.  So, I had one.

I didn't get anything to eat out.  Just the coffee.  It did taste good, and it kept my mind off the pain, or was that the anesthesia?  Hmm ...  I slipped back to a childhood habit.  I rewarded myself for making it through today.  I should have planned it better, like a non-food treat, but I didn't, and that's that.

Sometimes a coffee or a cone can cut the pain in two, just like a knife under the bed.  Just sayin'.  Back to berries tomorrow ...

2 comments:

  1. I had melanoma when I was 21 and, every six months since the initial diagnosis and treatment, I have to have a full body skin check. Almost every time I go, they find new spots of basal cell carcinoma that they have to remove. In order to keep myself in good spirits the day of, I always schedule a massage immediately following the appointment. Sometimes, it's in celebration of a clean bill of health! Other times, it's a comforting consolation to the new scar. Either way, it has me looking forward to the semi-annual checks, regardless of the fear that forms in the pit of my stomach for the visit itself.

    Besides... there is a frozen yogurt bar right next door to the massage parlor. Coincidence? I think not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very similar to what I'm going through. And I don't think it's a coincidence... :)

    ReplyDelete