Thirty-One Gifts

Hi! I'm now a consultant for Thirty-One Gifts! I use it to supplement my writing income.

Follow this link for more info:

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Depression and Food


They seem to go hand-in-hand with me.  If I'm blue, I either don't eat at all, as my stomach gets into knots, or I eat too much because it dulls the pain.  Chocolate and sugar give me that feel good thing, temporarily, and carbs do the same.  Comfort food is the best: mac and cheese, breakfast, potatoes, ice cream, and more.  Problem is, they go straight to fat and the good feeling doesn't last long.  That doesn't stop me on some days, though.  Many people are like me, or we wouldn't have an obesity problem in this country, and skinny people "junk out" from time to time as well.  What do do with your feelings?

I don't feel like exercising in these times, but I have to push myself to be productive, as that changes my mood and thoughts.  I have an old friend that says, "move a muscle, change a thought."  She's right, and it works most of the time.  I have to go outside, as Katie says light therapy works to brighten you and wake you up to the world.  I have to stock my kitchen with "clean" food, so that when I want to splurge, I can do so in a healthy way - at the very least.  I love the vegan, chocolate, no-bake cookies that I made a couple of weeks ago, and I want to make Katie's cookies today or tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it turns out - and give you the recipe.  :)  For now, it's breakfast for dinner...

3 comments:

  1. I love this blog. I haven't been diagnosed but I believe that I have depression at times. This gives me motivation to do better. My thing is I HATE working on and doing it alone. Money is tight so I can't afford to go to the gym but I do have a wii that I don't play lol. I'm 4'11 and weight about 182 I'm sure. I have bought a lot of chicken and fish lately. I did get ground beef and although I haven't eaten pork in about three months I bought some of that too. I notice that pork gives me a headache but I keep buying it! I was raised on pork chops...what's a girl to do. Do you have any extra advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Welcome to my blog! If pork gives you a headache, your body is telling you something. I am going by the advice that I can eat anything in moderation. I don't limit myself, or I'll binge. I do, however, constantly introduce new, healthier foods into my diet, as well as healthier ways of making them. I've been eliminating the bad stuff - sugar, soda, caffeine, and more. I'm not perfect, but I try. Exercise seems to be the key, and you don't need a gym. If you suffer from depressed times, yoga is great, as it is a real workout, you can do it at home with a dvd, and the meditation is rejuvenating. Look through some of my older posts, as they may have some more advice, but that's what I do. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot! Yea I'm going to bake my pork chops that I am having for dinner tonight. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete